- Follows a clear, consistent progression beginning with principles common to surgical specialties including fluid and electrolyte management, metabolic support, and wound healing. Subsequent sections review the management of injury, transplantation, oncology, breast, endocrine, and abdominal procedures.
- Covers key topics such as emerging surgical technologies and devices, regenerative medicine, the latest concepts in cancer biology and treatments, and evidence-based management and treatment.
- Emphasizes the most up-to-date minimally invasive techniques and the use of robotics when indicated.
- Features more than 2,000 superb illustrations and intraoperative photographs and 25 procedural videos that facilitate quick comprehension of surgical techniques.
- Includes more schematic diagrams, summary tables, boxes, and algorithms that provide a rich resource for reviewing surgical techniques and preparing for in-training and board exams.
- Shares the expertise of dozens of new authors and includes two new chapters on robotic surgery and fetal surgery.
- Contains fully updated content on topics encountered by general surgery residents in training as well as in-depth coverage of subspecialty areas including head and neck, thoracic, vascular, urology, neurosurgery, pediatrics, and gynecology.
- Enhanced eBook version included with purchase. Your enhanced eBook allows you to access all of the text, figures, and references from the book on a variety of devices.
Sabiston Textbook of Surgery, 21st Edition
For more than 80 years Sabiston Textbook of Surgery: The Biological Basis of Modern Surgical Practice has been the go-to text for trainees and surgeons at all levels of experience for definitive guidance on every aspect of general surgery. As the oldest continuously published textbook of surgery in North America this fully revised 21st Edition continues to provide the key information essential teaching pearls and completely updated content needed to make the most informed surgical decisions and achieve optimal outcomes for patients. Concisely written and evidence based throughout it covers the breadth of material required for certification and practice of general surgery highlighted by detailed full-color intraoperative illustrations and high-quality video clips.
Edited by Courtney M. Townsend, Jr., JR. , MD, Professor and John Woods Harris Distinguished Chairman, Robertson-Poth Distinguished Chair in General Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas