- Presentation of nerve cell and neuroanatomical issues important for understanding the mechanisms of actions of psychoactive drugs.
- Learning theory based explanations of reward and punishment. This focus would include discussion of these concepts as they apply to behavior in general, as well as to specific drugs.
- Presentation of drugs and drug trade as significant international and cross-cultural issues.
- Use of historic, visual art, film and literature-based perspectives on drugs and drug use.
- Consideration of legal and economic impact of drug trade and use.
- End of chapter critical thinking questions to encourage further discussion
- Accompanying Web site will include updates on research and related web links
- Supplements should include: Instructor’s manual with test bank – hard copy and on CD-ROM; and Power Point Slides
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 2 Sources of Drug Effect Variability.
Overview of Nervous System, Nerve Cell Activity, and Addictive Behavior.
Chapter 3 Brain and Behavior.
Chapter 4 Neurotransmission and Drug Pharmacodynamics.
Chapter 5 Addictive Behavior.
Chapter 6 Xanthines.
Chapter 7 Nicotine.
Chapter 8 Cocaine, Amphetamines and Other Behavioral Stimulants.
Chapter 9 Alcohol.
Chapter 10 Other Central Nervous System Depressants.
Chapter 11 Opioids.
Chapter 12 Marijuana and Hashish.
Chapter 13 Hallucinogens.
Chapter 14 Psychotherapeutic Drugs.
Drug Use in Perspective.
Chapter 15 Drug Use in Perspective