Evidence suggests a direct correlation between the quality of postoperative orthopaedic rehabilitation and the effectiveness of the surgery. Clinical Orthopaedic Rehabilitation, 4th Edition, helps today’s orthopaedic teams apply the most effective, evidence-based protocols for maximizing return to function following common sports injuries and post-surgical conditions. Charles Giangarra, MD and Robert Manske, PT continue the commitment to excellence established by Dr. S. Brent Brotzman in previous editions, bringing a fresh perspective to the team approach to rehabilitation.
- Every section is written by a combination of surgeons, physical therapists, and occupational therapists, making this respected text a truly practical “how-to” guide for the appropriate initial exam, differential diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation.
- Treatment and rehabilitation protocols are presented in a step-by-step, algorithmic format with each new phase begun after criteria are met (criteria-based progression, reflecting current best practice).
- Expert Consult™ eBook version included with purchase. This enhanced eBook experience allows you to search all of the text, figures, videos, and references from the book on a variety of devices.
New to this Edition
- Revised content brings you up to date with new evidence-based literature on examination techniques, classification systems, differential diagnosis, treatment options, and criteria-based rehabilitation protocols.
- Extensive updates throughout include new chapters on: medial patellofemoral ligament, shoulder impingement, pec major ruptures, thoracic outlet syndrome, general humeral fractures, foot and ankle fractures, medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction, the arthritic hip, athletic pubalgia, and labral repair and reconstruction.
- Easy-to-follow videos demonstrate rehabilitation procedures of frequently seen orthopaedic conditions and commonly used exercises, and new full-color images complement the highly visual nature of the text.
By Charles E Giangarra, MD, Professor, Vice Chairman and Chief, Marshall Athletics and Orthopedic Sports Medicine. Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine at Marshell University. and Robert C. Manske, PT, DPT, SCS, MEd, ATC, CSCS , Professor and Chair Department of Physical Therapy Wichita State University Wichita, KS
“This is an invaluable resource for all clinicians working with an orthopedic population. It covers surgical procedures, the evaluation process, treatment ideas/protocols, and current resources for further inquiry. The authors cite new and updated evidence-based treatment ideas and rehabilitation protocols as the rationale for this updated edition. The book is very much in step with these ongoing changes in orthopedic rehabilitation.”
– Christopher Blessing, MS, MPT, OCS, CSCS (University Medical Center of Princeton at Plainsboro) Doody’s Score: 90 – 4 Stars!